These Documents Are Required At The Canada Airport for International Students

In this in guide, we will learn a list of documents that are required when international students arrive at the Canada airport, so have them handy.

These are documents that you should have readily available to you when you get to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer at the border entry.

Always remember that they might ask you for one of these documents. Make sure you have them all in one file so you can easily put them out when it’s asked for, no delay because sometimes the longer you stay in front of him, the more nervous you become and start fumbling and it becomes an issue.

Documents Required at Airport for International Students in Canada

  1. IRCC Study Permits Approval Letter

They will require to see your study permits approval letter. This is mandatory and it’s not optional, so make sure you have a copy available to you because at this point what you have is a visa to enter Canada. You don’t have your study permits yet.

It is this letter that he/she (CBSA officer) can now go ahead and print your study permit for you, so make sure you have it ready.

  1. Letter of acceptance from the School in Canada

Have the letter of acceptance from your school ready in case you are asked for it.

  1. Proof of deposit to the school for your tuition

Have your of proof of deposits to your school for your tuition fee. If you have already made any deposits, make sure you have the documents ready.

  1. Have your IELTS or TOEFL or French Exam Score

You should have your IELTS score or your TOEFL score or even French score readily available, if it is a requirement on your letter of acceptance, because some of the programs will have a minimum requirement for your language score for you to enter the program.

So if it is stated on your letter of acceptance, there’s a possibility that the CBSA officer might ask to see it, just to make sure that you meet their minimum requirements that the program requires.

  1. Proof of funds documents

Always have a print out of what you submitted to the IRCC readily available to show them in case they ask for it and sometimes you can go ahead and have it updated, if it is an old one and the funds are still in there.

  1. Your Study Plan or Statement of Purpose

The next one you should have is your steady plan or your statement of purpose printed out. Sometimes it can help back some of the things that you told them.

Because if you are telling them that you’ll be going back to your home country and it’s stated in your statement of purpose, you can easily point it out to them, just to confirm what you are telling them and your work will be done.

  1. Proof of Accommodation

The next document that you’re supposed to have is proof of your accommodation. If it’s an airbnb, a hotel accommodation, a lease that you’ve already signed or you’ll be living with a family member, have that documents readily available to show in case it is asked for.

  1. Proof of Home ties

This mainly applies to people who are mature students coming into Canada. You need to show to them that at least you have ties to your home country and you have a reason to go back home.

Things like your marriage certificates, your former employment documents, other things that show that at least you have ties to your home country, will be important in this case. So if you have any property, this might be the time to maybe show some documents on it.

Even if it’s not available or printed out, you can at least open it up to them. But is advisable to have a printout, so that you don’t go and open a folder on your computer that might have other documents that you don’t want to show.

These are just some few documents that are advisable you keep a printout on you to show to them in case they ask for them. Feel free to add other documents that you think are important, in case it comes up because you might need them.

Don’t forget to share your family and friends who might be traveling to Canada soon. Thank you for reading this guide.


  • I am NOT an Immigration Consultant, Financial Advisor, neither am I affiliated with any government organization.
  • Any information shared on this site is based on research and hence should not be considered Legal Advice, I am not your Lawyer.
  • So I assume no liability for how the information on this site is used or interpreted and hence take no responsibility for any decisions that are made with regards to your visa application or life based on the information shared on this site.
  • Your commitment to your visa application or life is critical, so please do your own research or consult a professional before making any kind of decision.