DV Immigrant Visa Form (DS-260) and Important Things to know about it


The famous Form DS-260 (immigrant visa form) is the form where many people who are looking for immigrant visa must fill. Among those people are people who are the DV lottery winners, who are supposed to fill this particular form.

What is DS-260 form, immigrant visa form? What are the key information or key things you need to pay attention when you’re filling this form?

This form is in different categories or different areas.

  • Personal information

In order to fill this form and compete well, you need to have good information, the correct information about your educational level and work experience.

If you don’t have high school, you depend on work experience, then you have to put work experience in a very explanatory way so that you’ll be able to get the visa without any particular problem.

But while you’re filling this form, in order to complete this form, you need to have the address of where you’ll be staying in the United States of America. Many people don’t get the opportunity to have what is called “a host”.

So make sure that you find different ways to get the host, to get a person where you’re going to stay with, family or maybe a friend, whatever you are from your countryman that will be able to help you. There’s the address where you’ll be staying in the United States of America.

Apart from that one, other things will be very important. You have to fill them. Have the address where you’ve been staying, the name of your parents, your name, where you go to school, criminal record, what your intention in the United States, etc.

Once you submit that form, you’ll not be able to make any change. But if you want to make any change, you have to ask KCC, Kentucky Consular Center, to unlock your case number.

To unlock, you don’t need to give the reason. You put on the subject your name, your case number, and your date of birth, and then you ask them to unlock your case number, your DS-260, and want to make changes.

When requesting for unlocking of your DS-260, you don’t need to give the reason for that, maybe that you want to change because child is born or because someone died in the family, he’s not able to come. You don’t need to give all this explanation for that particular case.

Note: Once the interview schedule has been done, you cannot make any changes in your DS-260 form anymore. That is the time when the U.S Embassy will be able to have access to your DS-260. But if you go and make any change before the U.S embassy schedule interview date, U.S Embassy will not see that one.

Those edits, those changes you’re going to put are not in the final copy until the final submission and the visa interview schedule date has been set, then embassy will have that access.

Question: Can I edit or change information/anything or details of my DS-260, immigrant visa form, after submitting? Will the U.S Embassy see those changes?

If you are the DV lottery winner, when you submit your DS-260 form, it goes to KCC (Kentucky Council Center). Once you send the information, your form is locked, that means you cannot make any particular change.

You can make changes only if you ask KCC to unlock the DS-260. The request is very simple. You put your case number, you put your birthday and your name. On the body you just write them, “Please Unlock My DS-260 I want to make changes”


You don’t need to explain the reason of that particular change. Once you make the unlock, you can make any particular change. The changes, the edits you do, it’s between you and the DS-260. Those changes will not be appearing or the U.S Embassy will not see all those when you are going to make those changes.

But once the DS-260 is fully locked and you are given the visa scheduled date, the second notification letter, that is when the U.S Embassy in the country were you are supposed to do the interview will have the access to that edited DS-260 form. That’s when they will see the final DS-260 with everything there.

They will not know whether you remove the name, you changed the name, you were single, you say you are married, etc, they will only see the final version of everything.

Yes, you can make changes with that particular procedures, but don’t worry they’re not going to see those information/changes at the U.S embassy.

Question: If you have a family, do you fill more DS-260 forms for your derivatives?

Let say for example, you are a family of six or more, does it mean that you will have to fill six DS-260 forms, or is it just one DS-260 forms and all derivatives will fall within the same?

When you go to fill the form DS-260, you fill as a main applicant, principal applicant. They will ask you a question, are you married? You will choose “Yes”. You put the information for your wife.

Are you coming with you a spouse, husband or wife? Do you have kids? You put their names there.

When you finished filling everything on your case. Then on the same page you signed in, there is an option called “Add Derivative”.

You click Add Derivative, then it comes another page. That page you are going to fill the information, the name, date of birth, full information of your son or your daughter, you will fill it there. After filling all the information, everything, then you add another derivative.

Within one DS-260, you have the option to click another derivative, if another page comes in, all will be done in a column.

So under the principal applicant, it will be derivative one, derivative two, derivative three, derivative four, derivative five, etc. As the principal applicant, you’re going to add all derivative.

If you don’t create their own page within your DS-260 form, it means they are not going to be given the visa. Because they will use your case number and everything.

You sign in one, but inside you are going to create extra pages, to add derivative in that particular sense.

DISCLAIMER: This post and content is designed for general information only and is NOT legal advice. This site is not offering any Diversity Visa and is not the official site for DV Lottery program. The information presented in this post should not be construed to be formal legal advice.